Okay, so I know popcorn balls aren’t cake, or cupcakes. . . . or really anything of that nature, but while I was online looking up a different recipe, I found several recipes for popcorn balls and I just couldn’t resist. . . . .
After a bit of combining and tweaking, here’s my recipe and a picture:
SCRUMPTIOUS POPCORN BALLS
- 1/2 cup un-popped popcorn kernels
- 3 Tbs vegetable oil
- 1 bag of candy corn
- 1 bag of pretzel mm’s
- 5 cups of mini marshmallows
- 6 Tbs unsalted butter
- 1 tsp salt
- Using a popcorn maker*, place oil in bottom of machine and allow to heat before adding kernels. Once kernels are added, allow to pop, and voila – popcorn! *If you don’t have a popcorn maker, you can use a tall pan on the stove over medium heat or even just plain microwave popcorn.
- Pour popcorn in large bowl and allow to cool for a few minutes. Carefully mix in a desired amount candy corn and pretzel mm’s.
- Over medium heat, melt 6 Tbs butter. Then add marshmallows and salt and melt, stirring often.
- Evenly pour marshmallow mixture over popcorn mixture and allow to cool for a minute or two. Then mix well.
- Cut several squares of cellophane or plastic wrap and lie them on counter top surface. Scoop desired amount of mixture onto plastic wrap and, using the plastic wrap as a barrier between the mixture and your hands, form into ball. Continue this until you mixture is gone.
Popcorn balls can be stored in a big Ziploc bag at room temperature for several days.